Monday 27 July 2009



A CHRISTIAN LOOKS AT MATTHEW’S GOSPEL


What about my work?


Reading: Matthew 9:35


Yesterday we looked at the essential work of Jesus. As followers of Jesus we need to be involved in his work but the problem for most of us is that we don’t have the luxury of doing that all the time. So what about my work, the job that occupies most of my day? How do I regard it? Is it just a bore, a daily slog, something that I have put up with, simply a means of earning money to pay the bills, a waste of time? The word for “work” in Hebrew is the same as the word for “worship, (Avodah). That single thought totally revolutionized my attitude to work. Whether it is commuting or the daily grind at the office or doing the dishes when I get home, I can now tackle it with a new enthusiasm. No wonder Ruth Graham had a sign over her kitchen sink, “divine service is held here three times a day.” William Tyndale said, “There is no work better than another to please God; to pour water, to wash dishes, to be a cobbler or an apostle.”



Meditation: I must learn to turn my work into worship


Prayer pointer: I need help to turn my whole day into “divine service.”





Matthew:56

No comments:

Post a Comment