Friday 7 August 2009



A CHRISTIAN LOOKS AT MATTHEW’S GOSPEL


Acknowledging Jesus at all times


Reading: Matthew 10:32-33


The plain fact of history is that if the men and women of the early church hadn’t openly acknowledged Jesus we wouldn’t be here. The Roman Governor Pliny confessed his helplessness to shake the loyalty of those who were really committed to Christ. So which are the areas of my life where Jesus must be acknowledged? Well certainly (i) with my lips. There is a famous story of J.P. Mahaffy of Trinity College, Dublin, who when asked if he was a Christian replied, “Yes, but not offensively so.” He didn’t want anything to hinder his enjoyment of life. Then there is (ii) silence that can be a secret denial of Jesus. This is where I have failed so often; in the office or on the train, someone has said something with which I knew I had to disagree – and I didn’t. Then I can (iii) deny him by my actions. Our actions can often be a negation of what we believe. When I was a young Christian I came across a powerful book called “The church of Judas Christ.” Its argument was plain, if we profess Christianity but constantly deny it by our actions, we are disciples of Judas rather than Christ.



Meditation: We need to be doers as well as hearers of the word.


Prayer pointer: I need help to stop me becoming a secret disciple




Matthew: 68

No comments:

Post a Comment