Monday 1 June 2009

A CHRISTIAN LOOKS AT MATHEWS GOSPEL


A CHRISTIAN LOOKS AT MATTHEW’S GOSPEL
The Ancestry of Jesus

Reading: Matthew 1:1-17 (Click passage to view)

For the non-Jew this seems a very dull way to begin the story of the most exciting person who ever lived. But for the Jew, genealogies were important. The passage is clearly emphasising the historical reality of the human family of Jesus.
However, for the Christian today, it is also important to notice that God’s people lived through the long rollercoaster of Jewish history. That is one of the things all these names tell us. Spiritually and economically they lived through good and bad times, through boom and bust. The question I need to ask myself at the moment is, “Am I able to cope with the lows as well as the highs of life today?”

Meditation: Am I coping spiritually and economically with life today? Are there people around me who need my help?

Prayer pointer: Father, help me to cope with life’s booms and busts in a way that glorifies you.

No comments:

Post a Comment