Friday 26 June 2009

A CHRISTIAN LOOKS AT MATTHEW’S GOSPEL
The disciple’s prayer
Reading: Matthew 6:9-15 Click to view passage

Christians together or by themselves have used this prayer since New
Testament times. It is a wonderful prayer. However, rabbis often
taught what they called signposts for prayer and that is how I use
this passage everyday after reading my bible. We have 7 marvellous
signposts to help our praying:
(i) Come as a Son, “Our Father…”
(ii) Come as a Subject, “Hallowed by your name….”
(iii) Come as a Soldier, “Your Kingdom come…”
(iv) Come as a Slave, “Your will be done…”
(v) Come as a Suppliant, “Give us today our daily bread…”
(vi) Come as a Sinner “Forgive us our sins. . .”
(vii) Come as a Seeker “Lead us not into temptation. . .”

Whatever passage I am looking at in the bible, one or two of those
signposts will apply and help to focus my praying.

Meditation: How can I focus more on prayer each day?
Prayer pointer: Father, teach me to pray more as a disciple should.


Matthew: 26

No comments:

Post a Comment