Sunday 21 June 2009


A CHRISTIAN LOOKS AT MATTHEW’S GOSPEL
No retaliation at all
Reading: Matthew 5:38-39 Click to view passage

We forget that, “an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth,” was a colossal step forward morally, Its importance can be seen in that it was given on three different occasions, (Exodus 21:24; Leviticus 24:20 and Deuteronomy 19:21). This law of Lex Tallionis (tit for tat) if often thought of as bloodthirsty and savage but the reverse is true, it limits revenge. It never gave the individual the right to extract revenge, rather lays down how a judge can assess punishment and penalty.
Whereas the Old Testament checks vengeance, Jesus forbids it. He doesn’t ask his followers to moderate or limit revenge but to abolish it. Lex Tallionis is not even the whole of the Old Testament ethic which also has a lot to say about mercy and which can be summed up in the proverb, “Do not say, I’ll do to him as he has done to me,” (Proverbs 24:29).
Jesus is talking to the Pharisee who was the law giver (see Matthew 5:21-26) but the passage is clearly speaking to us all as well

Meditation: Consider: “Do not say, I’ll do to him as he has done to me,” (Proverbs 24:29). How am I going to live this out today.
Prayer pointer: Help me to abolish any notion of revenge in my life.

Matthew: 21




“Do not say, I’ll do to him as he has done to me.” (Proverbs 24:29).

No comments:

Post a Comment