Tuesday 9 June 2009


A CHRISTIAN LOOKS AT MATTHEW’S GOSPEL
Where Jesus began his ministry
Reading: Matthew 4:12-17 Click to view passage

For the seed-bed for the tender shoots of the church, Jesus chooses downtown Galilee rather than the splendours of Jerusalem. His choice is the home of Peter and a comparatively newly developed area infiltrated by Gentiles and so perhaps open to new ideas. When Jesus went there it was called Caphnarnaum which in the became Capernaum in the 5th century, the name we use today.
One of the questions we need to ask is, “Where does Jesus want me to serve him?” Strategy might well be important, it could be a deprived area, a leafy-suburb or a plush uptown situation. Jesus made a deliberate choice so I need to think about it too.

Meditation: Where does Jesus want me to live, work and serve him. When I plan, am I thinking more about my comfort than his will?
Prayer pointer: Father I need help to think beyond cultural and social reasons for living and working in a particular area. Help me to seek your will?

No comments:

Post a Comment