Saturday 27 June 2009

A CHRISTIAN LOOKS AT MATTHEW’S GOSPEL
A secret for finding extra time for prayer
Reading: Matthew 6:9-15 Click to view passage


We will stay on the subject of prayer for another day. About 20 years ago in America, Christianity Today published a survey of Minister’s prayer lives and the amount of time they spent each day in prayer. It was sadly revealing. Similar surveys made at men’s meeting here in the UK are just as revealing. For most busy men the question is, “How can I find more time for prayer?” Well I have found a way! Firstly it is using the time walking to and from the station, waiting at a red light, going up in a lift, riding an escalator and standing on a platform waiting for a train or the interminable queues we are involved in everyday. Second we need is a prayer book. I have a mobile prayer book I carry in my head. Monday is M: Missionaries. Tuesday is T: Tasks, all the things I have in my diary for that week. Wednesday is W: Workers in my local church for whom I need to pray. Thursday is T: Thanks for every thing that God has done and is doing in my life. Friday is F: Family. Saturday is S: Saints, friends that will be preaching tomorrow. Sunday is S: Sinners, my family, friends and neighbours who need to hear the gospel. Over the last twenty-five years I have found I can garner up to an extra hour a day for prayer.

Meditation: Search out the times each day that you can use for prayer.
Prayer pointer: Help me to turn day-dreaming time into prayer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment