Monday 8 June 2009

A CHRISTIAN LOOKS AT MATTHEW’S GOSPEL
After the Dove, the devil
Reading: Matthew 4:1-11 Click to view passage

After hearing the encouraging words of the Father, “This is my son, whom I love, with him I am well pleased,” Jesus hears the chilling challenge of the devil, “IF you are the Son of God.” It is the rhythm of the spiritual life while we are here on earth – blessing, battle, blessing battle. No one escapes it, not even Jesus, but unlike us he managed not to fall for the Tempter’s nonsense.
We need to remember that temptation is not a sin itself. It only becomes so when we welcome it and harbour its suggestion. The temptation of Christ is very helpful, because it reminds of of the main thrusts of the devil’s attack. (i) Appetite: the desire to enjoy things; (ii) Avarice: the desire to get things and (iii) Ambition: the desire to be somebody. Note that the devil speaks through the secular culture that surrounds us, while God speaks through his word.

Meditation: How am I going to be tempted today? How am I already being tempted today and how am I dealing with it.?
Prayer pointer: Father, help me to resist temptation. Please give me your strength to help me in my weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment